Resident Services

Elections & Voting

Elections in Peru are held every two years. The Primary Election is held the 2nd Tuesday in May and the General Election is held the 1st Tuesday in November. The Mayor and Council service a 4 year term, with Council alternating every two years. There are 2 West Ward Council Members and 2 East Ward Council Members.

For more information about voting and the election process in Nemaha County, please contact the County Clerk's Office at 402-274-4213.

Garbage & Recycling

Trash service is required as part of all water connections in the City of Peru. Trash is picked up every Tuesday morning with charges added to the customers water bill.

There is currently a recycling bin located near the City of Peru Water Plant at 745 Plum Street.

Permits & Licenses

Peddler Permits are required by any person or persons wishing to sell their goods within the city limits of City of Peru. The peddler permit fee is $3.00 per day.

Building Permits are required by any person within the city limits of the City of Peru and a 1 mile extension outside the city limits of the City of Peru. Any person making changes to their existing property or erecting a new structure MUST obtain a building permit. This includes the installation of business signage. The price varies and depends on the value of the project. If you have any questions about this, please contact the City Office at 402-872-6685.


​The City of Peru operates in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law. It
is illegal to discriminate again any person because of race, color, religion,
sex, handicap, familial status or national origin in the sale or rental of
housing or residential lots, in advertising the sale or rental of housing, in
the financing of housing, in the provision of real estate brokerage services,
and in the appraisal of housing. Block busting is also illegal.
Anyone who feels he or she has been discriminated against may file a complaint
of housing discrimination by calling 1-800-669-9777 (Toll Free) or
1-800-927-9275 (TTY). Written complaints can also be submitted to U.S.
Department of Housing and Urban Development, Assistant Secretary for Fair
Housing and Equal Opportunity, Washington, D.C. 20410."

Animal Control

The City of Peru requires that all residents license their pets. This includes pets owned by college students. Licenses expire on 4/30 of each year and the cost is $4.00 for spayed or neutered pets and $5.00 for non. Pets that are licensed are easily identified and returned to their owner.

Law Enforcement

The City of Peru is patroled regularly by the Nemaha County Sheriff's Department which also responds to emergency 911 calls.


The City of Peru provides water to their residents from ground wells. We currently have two wells, one of which mainly serves as a back-up. With Peru being located in the Missouri River basin, we naturally have high iron and manganese in our water. Peru contracts with Auburn Board of Public Works to operate our water plant and successfully treat these issues. Peru does not add fluoride to their drinking water. If you ever have water issues or concerns, please contact the City Office at 402-872-6685.